NOTICE 8/11/20: Emergency Meeting Scheduled:
The Village Council will meet Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 6:00pm (Village Hall, 101 Bridge Street, Sugar Grove, OH 43155). The purpose of the meeting is to consider (and pass) on second reading through emergency suspension of the rules (waiver of three readings) legislation first read at the August 10, 2020 regular meeting regarding Purdue Pharma Litigation and Supplemental Appropriations, as well as accept proposal for street paving project with Spires Paving Company.
NOTICE 8/2/20: Regular Meetings Scheduled in August:
- The Village Finance Committee will meet on Monday, August 3, 2020 at 6:00pm (Village Hall, 101 Bridge Street, Sugar Grove, OH 43155).
- The Municipal Records Commission will meet on Monday, August 10, 2020 at 5:15pm (Berne Union Schools Media Center, 506 N. Main Street, Sugar Grove, OH 43155).
- The Board of Public Affairs will meet on Monday, August 10, 2020 at 6:00pm (Berne Union Schools Media Center, 506 N. Main Street, Sugar Grove, OH 43155).
- The Village Council will meet on Monday, August 10, 2020 at 7:00pm (Berne Union Schools Media Center, 506 N. Main Street, Sugar Grove, OH 43155).
***All meetings are open to the public. However, please note the current mask requirement for Fairfield County and CDC physical/social distancing guidelines of 6 feet. Please see https://www.myfdh.org/
NOTICE 7/2/20: Regular Meetings Scheduled for Monday, July 6, 2020 & BPA Disconnection update:
- The Board of Public Affairs and Village Council will meet on Monday, July 6, 2020 at 6:00pm and 7:00pm respectively. The location of the meeting will be Berne Union Local Schools (Media Center - 506 N. Main Street, Sugar Grove, OH). Signs will be posted within the building to direct attendees to the meeting location. The school has requested that individuals attending the meeting wear a mask and maintain social/physical distancing while in the building.
- The Board of Public Affairs will re-institute late payment penalties and disconnection orders due to non-payment as of the July 15, 2020 billing cycle. The Ohio EPA director revoked/terminated the prohibitions on public water system operators' disconnection of services effective July 10, 2020. For more information, please read Ohio EPA letter.
NOTICE 6/14/20: Emergency Council Meeting scheduled for Monday, June 15, 2020
- The Village Council will meet in emergency session on Monday, June 15, 2020 at 6:00pm at Village Hall (101 Bridge Street, Sugar Grove, OH). The purpose of the meeting, and the only agenda item, is to approve a change order for the Wastewater Treatment Plant Improvements Project for new blower equipment for the plant.
- ***CORRECTION 6/15/20: In addition to the change order for the Wastewater Treatment Plant, the Council will also approve the invoice and payment in the amount of $41,000.00 for the resurfacing project on N. Elm Street, which is complete.
NOTICE 6/2/20: Regular Meetings scheduled for July 6, 2020 and Notice of Tax Budget Availability
- The Village Board of Public Affairs will meet on Monday, July 6, 2020 at 6:00pm for its regular monthly meeting. The location of the meeting is to be determined.
- The Village Council will meet on Monday, July 6, 2020 at 7:00pm for its regular monthly meeting. The location of the meeting is to be determined.
- The FY2021 Tax Budget will be available for inspection through the Clerk's office by Friday, June 26, 2020. The Council will adopt the FY2021 Tax Budget at the July 6, 2020 meeting.
NOTICE 5/30/20: Finance Committee Meeting Scheduled & Tax Budget Hearing for June 8, 2020
The Village Council Finance Committee will meet on Monday, June 8, 2020 at 6:00pm to conduct its regular meeting, a portion of which will be the FY2021 Tax Budget Hearing. Public comment is welcome. The meeting will be held at the Village Hall, 101 Bridge Street, Sugar Grove, OH 43155.
NOTICE 5/26/20: Regular Meetings Scheduled for June 1, 2020
The following meetings will be held on Monday, June 1, 2020 at Berne Union Local Schools (506 N. Main Street, Sugar Grove, OH) in Mr. Hurps classroom. School officials will be on site to help direct to the meeting location. Village officials have been able to work with school officials in meeting in a larger space in an effort to follow social/physical distancing recommendations to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The school has requested that individuals attending the meeting wear a mask and maintain social/physical distancing while in the building.
- Board of Public Affairs, 6:00pm
- Village Council, 7:00pm
For questions, please contact the clerk at 740-746-8406 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTICE 5/4/20: Regular Meetings for May Canceled
The Village's Council, Board of Public Affairs, and committee meetings regularly scheduled for May have been canceled. The Village has created contingency plans to host a virtual Council meeting should an emergency arise, and plans are being made to resume regular meetings in June, possibly using virtual platforms accessible to the public. The public will be provided the notice prior to any emergency meeting and also instructions on how to access a virtual meeting.
NOTICE 4/2/20: Municipal Income Tax Filing Extended to July 15th
Municipal income tax returns and payments for tax year 2019 with a due date of April 15, 2020 have been extended to July 15, 2020. Estimated payments for the first and second quarters of tax year 2020 have also been extended to July 15, 2020. The extended filing and payment dates apply to individual taxpayer filings and payments as well as business net profit filings and payments, but do not apply to employer withholding.
No request for extension or other filing is required to receive these extensions.
No late filing or late payment penalties, or interest, will be imposed for the period of April 15, 2020 through July 15, 2020 for these extended filings and payments.
Please see https://www.ritaohio.com/ for additional details and to file your taxes online.
NOTICE 3/31/20: Ohio EPA Order for Public Water Systems (Regarding Disconnections & Restorations)
Consistent with the language in HB 197, Ohio EPA Director Stevenson issued an order today requiring public water systems to restore service to any customer who was disconnected on or after January 1, 2020 due to non-payment. Importantly, customers must call their water utility to request restoration (Village of Sugar Grove 740-746-8406), and no fees may be charged to reconnect service.
Distribution staff should also direct affected customers to coronavirus.ohio.gov to review guidance from OEPA on flushing their plumbing. This mandate will remain in place through the period of the public health emergency; however, customers will still be liable for usage fees and charges.
NOTICE 3/18/20: Office Closure & Utility Bills
The Village is taking the following precautions in response to COVID-19:
- All Village buildings will be closed to the public beginning Wednesday, March 18th until further notice.
- All regularly scheduled meetings of Council, Board of Public Affairs, and committees have been canceled for the month of April.
- Please call 740-746-8406 or e-mail email@example.com for utility bill questions and any questions that you might normally ask in-person.
- IMPORTANT – Quarterly utility bills are still scheduled to go out the 1st of April, with a due date of April 15th. All utility bill payments can be made in the following ways at this time until further notice:
- Over the phone at 740-746-8406 via a credit card
- Online at www.sugar-grove.com
- Via check or money order in the US Mail.
- Cash is strongly discouraged.
- Payment can be placed in the 24-hour drop box in on the front door of the Municipal Office, 101 Bridge Street, Sugar Grove
No in-person payments will be accepted. Receipts will be provided via US Mail, upon request.
Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation as we continue to operate during this time with rapidly changing information. Updates will be posted on the office outdoor Bulletin Board or on the Village website www.sugar-grove.com.
Ensure that all residential waste and recyclables are bagged, boxed, or bundled to reduce exposure for our employees.
- Please continue to observe your normal scheduled pick-up day and have your waste or recyclables to the curb by 5:00 AM.
- To help reduce our call volume, please utilize our website for miscellaneous service information.
- To keep our office staff safe and healthy, we have restricted physical access to our main office, and until further notice, we will only be allowing internal staff inside our building.
- Effective immediately, our transfer station hours have been revised to:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
FY2020 Tax Budget Hearing
The Village of Sugar Grove Council will hold a public hearing on the FY2020 Tax Budget during the regular Council meeting to be held on Monday, June 10, 2019 at 7:00pm at Village Hall, 101 Bridge Street, Sugar Grove. Public is welcome and encouraged to attend.
FY2019 Annual Financial Report
The 2019 Village of Sugar Grove Annual Financial Report has been completed and can be accessed by clicking this link.
Village water customers may now sign up for paperless billing, view account information, and pay bill online by registering here https://www.utilitybillingsystem.net/. Please note that you will need your name, valid e-mail address, and 6-digit account number that will appear on your January bill. It will look like "10xxxx."
If you are new to the Village or planning on renting your home, please complete the Application for Utilities Services and return to the Village office. Also, please review the general schedule for water meter readings, our current rates schedule, and the most recent Annual Drinking Water Report. These documents are located here.
Important information regarding the new contract will be posted as soon as the final details are settled.
Residents are advised that effective July 1, 2019, Old Mill Sons will no longer be the Village's trash contractor. Details have not yet been released by Old Mill Sons as to the collection of their bins.
Effective July 1, 2019, the Village has authorized a tentative agreement with Waste-Away Systems (Heath, Ohio), as the Village's new trash contractor. Please see the FAQ/Information sheet regarding the new terms for the contract.
***Please continue to check the website for further updates***
Incorporated in 1851, the Village was established along a canal route for transporting goods as part of Ohio's early canal system. The Village sits at the Rushcreek and Hocking River convergence. Major transportation systems include rail and State Route 33. Our Village is the gateway to the Hocking Hills region, linking southeast Ohio to the Greater Columbus metropolitan corridor. Within just a few miles from the Village are tourist attractions such as Wahkeena Nature Preserve, Clearcreek Metro Park, and Hide-a-way Hills.
Berne Union Local Schools is a key element to the Sugar Grove and greater Berne Township community. Each year, the Music Boosters and volunteers put on the "Sugar Grove Stars & Stripes" (annual Independence Day celebration). In the summer and fall, it is common to hear the Berne Union Golden Rockets Marching Band performing along Main Street. In late spring, the Village's Main Street is also decorated by the High School Senior Class with the annual community-supported toilet-papering.
Sugar Grove is also home to Veterans' Community Park, which offers a shelter house for rental of family reunions and other celebrations in the summer, as well as two baseball fields. The Village also maintains the historic Sugar Grove Cemetery located on Buckeye Road, just outside the corporation limits.
The Village is home to a local barber shop, a bar & grill, family-owned grocery store, three churches, U.S. Post Office, Columbia Gas offices, and several small businesses.
Get Involved in Operation Helping Hand...
Would you like to give back to the Sugar Grove Community? In partnership with Berne Union Local Schools and area civic groups, the Village has a corps of volunteers that help clean streets, paint buildings, rake leaves, and beautify the town. To get involved, click the Call to Action button to contact us!